New England Wildlife Center
Preserving New England's Wild Legacy
Today’s Wildlife Admissions Status
By: Katrina Bergman
Categories: Right Now, Wildlife

Wildlife admission hours are 10-2 Tue – Fri.  To save you time and angst, please, please, please – always call before coming in.  We try to keep the web as up to date as possible, but a flood of wild animals can change our in take status quickly.  I do realize that sometimes it is difficult to get through on our phone lines. We receive about 10,000 calls about wildlife this time of year.  Thank you for your patience.   We hope to see you soon, and thank you for caring for wildlife. :)

11 Comments to “Today’s Wildlife Admissions Status”

1. The Woods Family says:

Happy holidays to all of you at NEWC! We brought in an injured sharp-shinned hawk earlier in December, found on a sidewalk during a power outage one Saturday night in Quincy Center. A beautiful bird, couldn’t fly. Hopefully still in this world! You were there ready to help on the following Sunday morning. Thank you!

2. Kay Toma says:

Hi, I have a 13 year old pet bunny who has been indoors with the run of the house since he was a baby. He started to become ill during the fall but I couldn’t find a Dr. to see him. Those I called explained they didn’t see exotic pets. I never thought of “Bugsy” as an exotic animal- except I knew he was special!! Someone at work told my husband about the Wildlife Center last week and I’m hoping it isn’t too late…
    It began under his chin (losing fur and weepy). That seemed to clear up after a bit. Now his right eye has the same issue. Although he is eating and drinking, he prefers softer foods which leads me to believe it may have spread to his mouth. We are up in Canada now (yes, Bugs is with us!) and will be home New Year’s Day. Is there any chance you could see him sometime next week. I hope it hasn’t gone too far…
    Thank you so much for any help you can give me and, of course, Bugsy!
    Kay Toma
    (781) 659-7892

• Katrina Bergman says:

Hi Kay, You can call the front desk at 781 682 4878 to get the earliest appointment. Mary Ann or Ian will be happy to help you set up a time and will have the holiday schedule. Although you would have to see the veterinarian for a check up and to diagnose, our vets say that the symptoms you are describing are often related to an old bunny tooth problem. 13 is very old for a bunny, as you probably know. :) Hope we can help. You can email Dr. Rob at newildlifecenter@gmail.com but all appointments are made at the front desk. If you have to leave a message, someone will return your call. Thanks.

3. Janet says:

Hello,
    We found a baby squirrel (4-5 weeks old?) in our driveway yesterday late afternoon. Left at bottom of tree near driveway for a few hours until after dark. Mom never returned for it. Kept it warm and rehydrated it overnight (hope that was the right thing to do). Might you able to take it today (8/8)?

• Janet says:

Thanks very much for calling me back this am (I had also left a message on your voice mail). We will see you between 12:30 and 1.

4. Jennifer DiGregorio says:

Hello!

My husband and our daughters rescued a baby bunny from the clutches of a cat today. They were able to secure the bunny off the street, but it seemed like he or she was stunned and possibly had an injured leg. If the baby bunny has not moved, do you have space for us to bring him or her in tomorrow?

Thanks so much for your hard work.

• Katrina Bergman says:

Hi Jennifer, Yes, you can bring him/her in anytime from 10 – 2. Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you. I think Mary Ann is on the front desk. :)

5. Susan Govoni says:

thank you for posting a picture of her!!!

6. Katrina Bergman says:

You’re welcome! I am so glad we could fit her!!

7. Susan Govoni says:

Thank you so much for taking the baby squirrel that my cat brought in this morning. He was so adorable…susan