New England Wildlife Center
Preserving New England's Wild Legacy
Hospital Full for Babies
By: Katrina Bergman
Categories: Uncategorized

Hi Friends, Our hospital is full for baby mammals and baby birds. We can’t take anymore babies until some of these guys get a little older. We are open for injured wildlife.
We will post here as soon as we can accept more babies.

Every animal deserves humane medical care. It is painful when we can’t accept an admission of an animal in need of help – especially when we are the only wildlife hospital in metro-Boston. Unfortunately, in order to provide the best care to the wild animals in the hospital and in order to comply with Massachusetts law, we have to close to admissions when we reach “bed” capacity.

There is a list of rehabbers on this site. These rehabbers fill up quickly too. There are millions of wildlife in need of care each year and no state or federal agency to care for them. New England Wildlife Center is a nonprofit started by your neighbors. Less than 1% of all donations to run the Center come from the individuals, agencies or municipalities that bring us wild animals in need of help, and by law, we aren’t allowed to charge.

The hospital is run by a veterinarian and a few technicians. We rely mostly on volunteers to operate. So, please be patient with us when we cannot accept an animal. It pains us as much as you. Together, we need to find a solution. Right now, there just isn’t enough help for our wild friends and it’s just not right.

Pictured barredowl┬áis a baby Barred Owl. He came in this week and we were able to work with our friends at Trail Side Museum. They “re-homed” this baby and he is now in a nest with a foster mother and other chicks.

25 Comments to “Hospital Full for Babies”

1. Helen says:

I found (or my puppy found but did not hurt) a baby bird this morning. Any chance you have room for it?

2. Carolyn says:

Hi, some visitors brought a robin nestling into my building today. Do you have room for it at your clinic? I’ve been feeding it a gruel of rice and chicken every hour or so.

• Jack Banagis says:

Hey Carolyn, We are able to take the baby robin. You can drop him off to us during our admission hours which are from 10AM – 2PM Tuesday-Friday. Best of luck to you and the baby robin.

3. David says:

Hi. I found a baby bird without feathers on the ground yesterday. I left it there all day but no one returned for the baby. I’ve been taking care of it but was wondering if I can bring it in.

• Jack Banagis says:

Hey David, We can take the baby bird. You can bring him in beginning at 10:00 am tomorrow. There is also a list of rehabbers on this site or the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife Website. Very best of luck.

4. Joe C says:

Are you taking in any more baby birds yet?
    Thank you.

• Katrina Bergman says:

So sorry Joe but we are still full. We will be releasing some more birds later this week so we will have room when they go. Wish we could take him/her today. Best of luck. :)

5. Pamela Camponescki says:

I found a baby robin that fell from the nest Wednesday afternoon last week. I have been caring for the baby since then and it seems to be doing okay but I was hoping that someone who knows about caring for a wild bird would be better suited to care for the little one. Would you be able to take him?

• Jack Banagis says:

Hi Pamela,
      Unfortunately we are currently operating at maximum capacity for baby animals and will not be able to admit any new babies until Thursday June 20th. We know this is frustrating as we would like to be able to take in all wildlife in need. There is a list on this website (http://wildlife-education-center.com/) of other wildlife rehabilitators and you can also visit the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife website. Very best of luck to you and the baby robin.

6. Bonnie says:

I found a very young bird in the road he appears well. No oher birds near him. Do you have any space available. Thank you

• Jack Banagis says:

Hello Bonnie,
      Unfortunately we are currently operating at maximum capacity for baby animals and will not be able to admit any new babies until Thursday June 20th. We know this is frustrating as we would like to be able to take in all wildlife in need. There is a list on this website (http://wildlife-education-center.com/) of other wildlife rehabilitators and you can also visit the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife website. Very best of luck to you and the young bird.

7. David Robinson says:

Hi,
    I have 4 baby Blue Jays that fell out of their nest. One of them seems injured, the other 3 seem ok. I’m not sure what to do, any suggestions?

• Jack Banagis says:

Hello David,
      Unfortunately we are currently operating at maximum capacity for baby animals and will not be able to admit any new babies until Tuesday June 10th. We know this is frustrating as we would like to be able to take in all wildlife in need. There is a list on this website (http://wildlife-education-center.com/) of other wildlife rehabilitators and you can also visit the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife website. Very best of luck to you and the baby Blue Jays.

• David Robinson says:

No problem Jack,
        We’ve got them in a make shift nest, mum and dad are still tending to them. The one that is injured seems to have a small strand of monofilament line around its leg and can’t walk or stand up, after the rain storm I’ll try to snip it off to see if it helps him out. The other 3 are doing fine. Thanks for all you guys do.

8. Sarah Flint says:

I have a hurt baby owl and I was directed to this website and saw this posting. I’m hoping someone can shed some hope for this baby owl. I’m afraid it will die without its mother. What do I do?

• Katrina Bergman says:

Hi Sarah, We can take the baby owl. We open at 10 am tomorrow. The address is 500 Columbian Street, South Weymouth MA. Our phone is 781 682 4878. Hope the owl does ok over night.

• Sarah Flint says:

Hi Katrina,

Thank you for getting back to me, The Owlet seems ok and I have it in my cat carrier with some towlels. I haven’t fed it as I read that you shouldn’t. It seems like its leg is broken. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing and taking it was the right thing to do. I will call at 10am when you open and we can discuss. If you want to give me an email I can send a picture.

• Katrina Bergman says:

Hi Sarah – Our phone lines are jammed this time of year. If you can’t get through, please leave your phone number and someone will phone you back. You can also ask for Nina Flaherty and she will help you navigate. If the baby is injured he or she should receive medical care. Best of luck.

• Sarah Flint says:

My number is 978-810-8013, feel free to call me. I am having no luck finding someone to bring the Owlet to you and I can’t get out of work until 4:00pm and I’m sure it will take me 2 hours to drive there during rush hour. I feel bad making this Owlet wait for medical help if its needed.

• Sarah Flint says:

Just wanted to give an update.
            You were right I couldn’t get through and I didn’t receive a phone call so I called my cats animal hospital and they had a vet that handles Owls so I brought it there on my lunch break. I hope they are able to fix it right up. I plan to call tomorrow to see how they make out. Thank you again for your help. It’s wonderful what you all do. Keep up the good work.

With sincere gratitude,
            Sarah

• Katrina Bergman says:

So very glad u got help

9. Kayla O'Brien says:

Hi,
    I am currently and undergrad at Clemson University in South Carolina studying wildlife and fisheries biology. I was wondering if y’all do winter break internships. (Early December to early january). Also, I was wondering when y’all start accepting applications for summer 2014 internships. Thanks a bunch.

-Kayla

• Katrina Bergman says:

Hi Kayla, Yes we absolutely take winter interns. Please download and fill out an application from this site. If you have questions, please call Dr. Rob Adamaski at 781 682 4878. This is our busiest time of year so give him a few days to respond. You can also contact Nina Flaherty at 781 682 4878 x119 and she will be happy to help you. Hope to see you soon. Applications for 2014 won’t start being processed until February, so it’s a little early still. :)